Château de Valmer
The historic Château de Valmer, owned in the early 1500’s by France’s King Charles VII, holds 70 acres (28 hectares) between the appellations of Vouvray and Touraine. The 4th and 5th generations of the Saint Venant family tend to every facet of the estate’s vineyards, gardens, and winemaking, with utmost respect for the appellation and nature. The estate’s vineyards are worked with minimum intervention and produce a range of AC Vouvray bottlings.
Location of Vineyard
The wines of Vouvray are produced from a single grape variety. In this area Chenin Blanc, also known as “Pineau de Loire,” is grown on calcareous tuffeau soils. The AC Vouvray vineyards of Château de Valmer are comprised of 57 acres (23 hectares) of vines planted on south to southwest exposed hillside slopes in the communes of Chançay and Reugny. Present day owner Aymar de Saint Venant restored the vineyard in the 1970’s, including considerable investments in restoration of the original buildings and the replanting of the historical plot known as “Le Clos.”
Produced in a “sec-tendre” style, with just a hint of sweetness, the wine is fermented in glasslined tanks at 66°F (19°C) and then rests on the fine lees. No oak is used during production, so the expression is of pure Chenin Blanc with a well-defined mineral component.